Our sustainability considerations
Reducing our impact
Sustainable practices are embedded in all we do at BMA House and we take our responsibility to carbon reduction very seriously; promoting sustainably led initiatives to all of our clients, suppliers and employees. On our ever evolving journey towards reducing our impact on the environment we have made the following achievements and implemented the following measures:
- Delegate carbon footprint reduced by 69% (since 2018).
- Water usage reduced by 5.4 million litres per year.
- Gas, fuel and electricity are strictly sourced from renewable sources only.
- Clean Air Walking Route to venue – 57% air pollution reduction.
- Carbon balanced and water neutral events options.
- Plastic and paper free events options.
- Biodiverse landscaping.
- Onsite herb garden – used as part of catering provisions.
- Carbon neutral interior design and decor
- Sustainable lighting in venue (LEDs & PIR)
- Tap Water to Ozone cleaning system
- Cycle to Work scheme (including free bike maintenance)- over 40% staff uptake.
- Sustainable IT infrastructure.
As part of our commitment to sustainability, we only work with suppliers who share our passion and dedication towards corporate, social and environmental responsibility. In collaboration with our suppliers we have implemented a number of initiatives, including the following:
- Preference given to local supply chain.
- New and increased plant-based menu options.
- Seasonal menu options, including food mileage transparency.
- Sandwiches, salads & cakes made to order on-site (rather than in advance).
- Introduction of Hot Fork Buffet Set menus – minimising waste and providing cost savings to our clients.
- “Wine with a Conscience” sustainable wines list introduced – transported by land and sea (rather than air).
- No additional charges for non-dairy alternatives.
- Food waste reduction and recycling programme with Paper Round and local food banks.
- Reduced use of disposables with ‘Bring your own cup’ scheme.
Accreditations & awards
As an iconic central London venue, BMA House sees thousands of visitors each year for conferences, events, parties, and meetings. In addition, we welcome hundreds of visiting members from the British Medical Association. We are proud to share that our continual pursuit and promotion of sustainable best practice has awarded us the following accreditations:
- ECOsmart Accredited – Platinum
- Green Tourism Accredited – Gold
- Winners of ‘Best Accommodation & Meetings Sustainability Initiative’ – 2023 Greengage Awards
- Winners of ‘Best Venue for Hybrid Events’ – 2022 London Venue Awards
- Zero to Landfill Status
You can find out more information in our Sustainability and Health policy here.